Monday, June 25, 2012

Wishful relativity


The other day at my favorite café: one of the waiters said in a hushed voice “You know what? I got married a week ago” while his face was radiant with pride and joy. “Oh, congratulations!” I exclaimed both in shock and disbelief. Married? But he’s just a kid! What people do with their lives is their business alone and no one else’s but to me that boy looks barely old enough to be in love let alone j ump into marriage. When my friend came I passed the news to her and she wasn’t that surprised. “That boy, as you call him, is probably almost 30.” “No, it can not be! Look at his face-he’s like a child!” So we asked and indeed the guy turned to be 28. “Do the math,” my friend said “we first came here more  than a decade ago, and he was already here.” Really? I mean, really?! Over 10 years now? How come I have no awareness of all that time? I can’t even remember what I was like 10 years ago. The same as today I guess-minus some wrinkles and plus some hope and illusions. Now I am if not happier (which I am not) then at least less easily shaken. I guess breaking the watch doesn’t stop time from running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home