Friday, December 11, 2009

That elusive bird of happiness

After posting the last entry hesitations swirled inside my mind like a swarm of bees stinging with unexplainable guilt…of course. Was it fair to have said what I said; wasn’t I too excessive, utterly rude and narrow-minded? Stupid indeed-who’s to know what I write in my personal blog where I’m entitled to say just about anything anyway?; I only say what I think and I don’t say what I think is right. Is it OK my conscience to poke me like that to keep me going straight or am I overdoing again? I’m never sure how much is enough. Anyway, I found myself wondering: if my life was less secure than it is now, if I were less fortunate-would I still be dreaming? True, what I want most of all will never be mine but then again what I want is too obscure to begin with so there will be no broken expectations on my part. My second best and far more specific dream came true about a dozen of times- I saw 11 concerts of my favorite band (What? It’s a dream just as good as any other!). I am aware many people didn’t make it to even one for the simple reason they didn’t have the money. From their point of view gloominess is probably fairly justified. I was lucky that at that particular point in my life my potentials were in harmony with my wishes.


But…money, though essential for sustaining a decent living, are not a universal answer to all needs. I can’t help thinking that other people (maybe not all but a good part of them) have something I want but can not buy even if I had all the money in the world: love, real life, love for life. Do they realize how rich that makes them? Happiness can not be measured, evaluated or compared; it can not be disassembled to see what it’s made of and assembled back again. Maybe one thinks of it only when one doesn’t have it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

I just want to say one thing:
people might say that money doesn't buy happiness, but I can tell you that unless you have enought money to live YOUR life properly (you may not need a lot of money to live, but ENOUGH money to live is a necessity), you cannot be happy.

I'm sorry if I sound materialistic.

3:45 PM  
Blogger balance said...

No, dear, it doesn’t sound materialistic-it sounds realistic.

There can not be a happy soul without a happy body. And while the best things for the soul are free (or so the rumour has it) the body needs money to feel good. Only people with money can afford to say money don’t matter. When money or rather the lack of it is the issue how much you have marks the line between life and survival. One can not keep one’s dignity if one has to beg for food.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home