Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Hush

There was a power outage at home last night. The problem was quite serious apparently because the whole area was swallowed in darkness for over an hour. After the initial exasperation I found the blackout fascinating in a way. I love the scent of burning candles and the sight of dripping paraffin. I wrapped myself in a wool blanket; the cat sneaked under and fell asleep on my chest. All the sounds disappeared and outside there was only candle light lingering through the windows here and there. Time stopped in a long moment of peace.

The pictures worked much better than I expected:

2 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

So you had an unexpected 'Earth's Day' yesterday ;)
I agree with you, that candlelight makes everything look magic almost -and all shapes are much softer and lighter.

Beautiful picture, btw.

11:01 PM  
Blogger balance said...

Many people had their “Earth day” that evening, unwillingly though ;)

A friend once said: “Good taste must be imposed by force”. I know that for you just as for me free will is probably the most important human right but sometimes I’m inclined to consent that under certain circumstances it might have to be restricted for people’s own good because it is purely human to do what it pleases you rather than to do the right thing. Anyway, I’m skeptical about the effectiveness of such initiatives-the major electricity consumers are not individuals but industrial enterprises. So I’d appreciate it I have such “earth days” not too often :)

But, sure, darkness makes the familiar seem surreal.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home