Sunday, February 24, 2008

Listen to your inner

I rely on my intuition in many aspects of my life. I’d hear a song from an unknown artist and immediately buy the album because I know it’s something special. I’ve never been wrong about my choice. That is how I found Jeff Buckley or Dead Can Dance for instance. Most important, of course, that is why I bought “Pretty Hate Machine” way back in 1990-because of hearing 2 minutes of a song in a music store (I couldn’t know then it would have such a crucial impact on my life :)) The latest example is the Russian author Andrei Makin. I strongly recommend his books although so far I’ve read only two of them: “The woman that was waiting” and “The music of a life”. Only 2 books, pretty small (the latter is less than a 100 pages) but, my God, The words! Words that haunt my mind and leave my soul breathless! The sensation I get from reading his works is similar to the way I felt while reading Kakuzo Okakura’s The book of Tea. The same attention to the detail, the same careful choice of words. If there’s an action it holds place in characters’ minds. He tells a story that could be retold in a page but he opens the door to the inner world of the people involved and lets us see the vast universe of their thoughts, feelings, dreams and fears, passions and temptations. There’s a strong string of sorrow that knits together everything from the first line to the last. “And all that could have been”-like point of view to lives whose progress has been directed by unavoidable circumstances and unfortunate coincidences. He’s making a garden of flowers whose sun has been overshadowed by faith. And yet I’m not left with the impression that he’s taking a side. He’s merely the voice of muted souls, photographing every tiny detail of that bodiless structure that makes us humans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home