Friday, April 29, 2016

Embrace diversity

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?” - Matthew 7:3


OK, I confess, I had to Google that one. All I can say about the Bible is that: 1) I know there's such a thing as “the Bible”; 2) I know it's a book and that no one knows whom it had been written by; 3) I know that by reasons, inexplicable to my 21-century questioning mind of a 40-something independent female, that book had been used, successfully at that, to shape the destiny of the world as we today know it; 4) I know that the correct spelling is with a capital “B”.


Obviously my knowledge of the Bible amounts to zero. I'm not proud to be ignorant about the Bible, I'm simply clarifying.


The reason for using this particular quote is not its source but its popularity and the message in it: don't judge other people's flaws while staying blind about your own imperfections. In even less words: don't be a hypocritical asshole.


I should know. And I do know. About imperfections that is. My own, I mean. Other people's I pay as much attention as to a flock of birds in the sky: I watch them as they fly by and once they're gone the image is gone too. I register and delete.


There used to be a time, a significant part of my life actually, stigmatized by the wearing question “What is wrong with me? Why am I not like the rest?”


Pity to realize now that all that time and the pain along with it has been in vain, wasted. I was younger then and time wasn't as valuable as it is now.


I thought I wasn't normal.


Now I know that. And I’m perfectly fine with it because: No one is normal.


There isn't such a thing as “normal” when it comes to humans. In theory there could be but only in a laboratory, in a controlled environment, protected from any hazardous influence. Such human being would set the standard and would be the norm.


However, all of us live in the real world and the reality of it is different for each of us. Therefore, each and everyone has no choice but to show deviations from the norm.


Have you collected pebbles at the beach? They are all shaped differently because they have been rubbed by the water in a different way. Every pebble is unique and so are we, humans.

I'm not normal… but neither are you. And that's OK. Now that's finally OK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home