Monday, April 17, 2017

Sweet dreams

It's unpleasantly cold today which is why the sliding door at my favorite café is closed and I had to get up to open it for that dear old lady as she left. This time she said to me “I hope that this year will bring you something very lovely.” The expression on her face was so firm that it made her words sound ominous. “Well,” I thought “I hope you're right. It's about time.”


And then I remembered that article that I read just minutes before that. It was on Carl Sagan accurately (scarily accurately, as the article points) predicting the state of the world today over 20 years ago. One of the things the article mentions is the fondness people (will) have for horoscopes. The concept is apparently known as “optimism bias” and in simple words that translates as “people see what they want to see”.

Well, why not, if it helps me get out of bed in the morning. What else is motivation but choosing to see something that isn't there and does it really matter where you get it from?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home