Saturday, January 09, 2016

What a difference a day makes

Life is good… again, contrary to how I felt just 24 hours ago.


Yesterday morning, a little before 7 AM, I was at the bus stop looking idly around as I waited. And then I saw this dog - a snow white husky, apparently young and beyond any doubt lost. Oh hell. I kneeled and called her. She came close but not close enough to grab the rope tied around her neck that she had for a collar. She didn't seem scared though, she was in a playful mood. She found a chestnut on the ground and played with it. The chestnut fell a foot from where I was. I took it and tossed it in the air a few times to trick her to come closer. And it worked! I grabbed the rope and retrieved my late dog’s leash from my bag (Vincent died five years ago and ever since I carry his leash in my bag for exactly such occasions. That was the first time I used it.) and put it on. So far so good; what now? It's not like I had a variety of choices. I took the dog home, took pictures, went to work, posted the pictures online with description and coordinates, printed the pictures, went out and distributed them in the area. I could do nothing more but to hope for the best.


Let's say the day seemed endless.


The horror of waiting for owners to see the “dog found” ads and contact me, the worst case scenario that kept on creeping into my head - that the dog might be thrown out and no one was actually looking for her. What was I to do then!? I’m not ready to have a dog again! Of course no way I was throwing her out. I could already see myself stuck to a dog for the next fifteen years.


She was a darling! Incredible dog! Although young she was already well trained. It was obvious someone had invested a great deal of time, efforts and love in her. That's why it was hard to imagine no one was looking for her.


And yet hours dragged on uneventfully. I was gripped in despair.


And then, 15 minutes past 9 PM, my phone rang and a a distressed female voice asked if I had her gog.


I could be wrong and yet I don't think I have ever been happier.


Ten minutes later the husky was reunited with her humans. There were tears of joy - they cried, I cried, the dog went insane with happiness to see them.


Watching happy endings on TV is one thing. Creating a happy ending for someone is the most rewarding experience there is.

To be honest, my decision to take the dog home was far from lighthearted. I was completely aware of the trouble I was getting myself into and of the eventual consequence that I might have to keep the dod. I could have simply turn a blind eye, get on the bus and pretend that nothing happened. Many people would have. I won't say I wasn't tempted to choose the easy way - I was. But to claim that I love animals and not help an animal in need when there's an opportunity to do so...that would make me a hypocrite. 






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home