Monday, March 01, 2010

A deed is worth a thousand words

Last Saturday night-New Model Army at the party Center. I kind of was there because the concert started a little before 11 PM- much later than scheduled, and I had to leave before the end to catch the last bus service (not to mention I was already half asleep). Even so now I can confirm first hand that NMA are a great band with a small but 100 % devoted fan group. I’m really glad I didn’t miss them this time.


In the hours before the concert I had the chance to chat with a fan from London, currently living in Belgium, who was far from thrilled about Sofia, not in a good way at least *. He said “No hard feelings but this city looks gray and ugly”. A few days earlier he was in Warsaw and Krakow and the comparison was definitely not in Sofia’s favor. My only choice of reaction was to nod in agreement. A fact is a fact-what was there to argue about?


Sometimes I think the only way out for my country is to place a job application:

“Wanted: a non-corrupted government; non-Bulgarian citizenship is an advantage”.


What’s indeed the matter with us? Apart from the unbelievably unfortunate choice of government throughout our first 20 years of capitalism that is.


Too much critics and not enough volunteers willing to get their hands dirty. If you want clean sidewalks then throw your garbage in the trash bin next time; move your lazy but and do something! Blaming someone else for your own mistakes is not just easier-it’s irresponsible and cowardly.


Yesterday morning at the café I was trapped in the corner next to a bunch of men of the macho breed and for an hour that seemed to go on forever I couldn’t avoid listening to their conversation. Judging by their words they were the crème de la crème, the pride of the nation…oh, dear! Men of words are in a limitless supply these days but where are the men of action?


* I often see tourists in Sofia and each time I wonder why they chose to come here and not elsewhere. Sure, there are some things to be seen in this town…and a lot more that better be left unseen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

Well, Sofia has its good moments (museums, mainly...). But as you know, I don't particularly like it. In fact, we only stop there to meet you and Mani and spend time together with you, otherwise, we would simply land there and take a train to Gorni Dabnik.

One thing though: today it is 1 March so... Tchestita Baba Marta!

6:01 PM  
Blogger balance said...

Thanks, Milla, do you have a Martenitsa on your wrist this year? I had at least a dozen yesterday and it was such a relief to take them off in the evening. One day is all I can manage.

As for Sofia…err, oh well, at least I’ve found my islands of peace where I can hide from what I don’t like about the city. It might be grey and ugly to newcomers but to me it’s home.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Milla said...

Of course I have! Jivka sends a few Martenitsa every year: among the ones from this year there was a proper bracelet made with white and red beads, which I will be wearing all year around! Cos in London I never see storks...

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home