Monday, November 03, 2008

U2 3D: Mamma mia!

1987. Madonna is my role model and in my free time I try to copy the dance moves that I see in music videos. The TV shows a hideously looking ponytailed man singing “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for” which makes me furious because that video takes a TV time reserved for people more pleasing to the eye (like George Michael. Come on, I was 14!). I hated U2 at first. Or so I thought because a few months later a recording studio opened in town (back then it was impossible to find music) and the first album I ordered there was “The Joshua tree”. I was playing that album over and over and over again. I still think it’s one of the best albums ever. A few years later I developed a taste for “underground” music, I discovered NIИ and U2 became too big and powerful for my liking. I didn’t buy “How to dismantle an atomic bomb”-U2 were not anymore the band I fell in love with in ’87. Still I couldn’t miss the screening of “U2 3D”…and it was amazing! An hour and a half of total bliss! An almost authentic concert experience without the “pushy” side-effects. The sensation is sooooo real-I could almost taste the drops of sweat on Bono’s face :) The crowd was fantastic. I wanted to clap my hands after each song and when they waved goodbye there was that dreadful scream in my head “NOOOO! It can’t be over!”. The movie ended with probably the best love song ever written-“With or without you”. I cried. Edge’s guitar is heart-breaking. It was beautiful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

I loved U2 until the Joshua Tree. That was the last album I ever bought by them. I can't stand them now (especially Bono, so arrogant and pompuous), but I still listen to their very old albums.

3:33 PM  
Blogger balance said...

I know what you mean. I stopped loving them the moment Bono went into politics. I don’t know why-there’s nothing wrong with what he’s doing; on the contrary-he’s using his popularity for noble causes but...you know what they say: you can’t mess up with politics and stay clean. At least it sounded like that. Yesterday at the screening I managed to forget about Bono’s public image and you know what? The music did its magic again :)

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home