Saturday, June 15, 2013

30 SECONDS TO MARS at Zitadelle Spandau, Berlin, June 6th 2013

a.k.a. “A trial by fire”


I went, I saw, I was conquered :)

Hereby are my rants and incoherent jabber as recorded in my journal on June 7, the day after the concert:

“A million little pieces we’ve broken into
A million little pieces I’ve stolen from you”



Take all invigorating emotions there can be, mix them together and it still won’t be enough to tell how it felt to be at that concert.

It was…first let me take a napkin or I might drool all over the keyboard ;) What?! Delusional I get now and then but one thing I am not is insensitive…and neither I am blind. It was…

OK, slow down and start from the beginning.

The hour on my ticket said “7 PM” meaning that’s when the opening band goes on stage; 30STM take the stage at 8 PM. Good. I went to the venue at 2 PM assuming that since it was Thursday kids would be at school and the rest-at work. “Ah, 2 PM might be too early; there will be probably not more than 20 people waiting.” Ha! There were 200 already, some of them apparently had slept there-the place looked like a camping ground. What the …!? Goodbye, first row, farewell; I hope we’ll meet some day. There was nothing I could do but to take a deep breath, face the facts and take my place in the line under the burning sun. They let us in after 6 PM and the whole time I had to stand upright and without moving-the ground was way too dirty and shortly after there was already nowhere to sit anyway. As I expected, my back started to ache-a maddening pain I was prepared for so I drank the painkiller I had in my pocket. Guess what-it didn’t work as it was supposed to :( You know what sucked the most? Everyone was with someone; everyone but me. If it sounds like I felt miserable the impression is accurate-the situation looked hopeless and deliverance was nowhere to be seen. And I didn’t see it because it was behind me the whole time-a sweet German girl called Jenny who was alone too (!) and introduced herself. I stopped short from throwing myself on her neck but admitted she was the answer to my prayers (as it turned out it was likewise for her). We kept each other company and watched each other’s backs-an essential point to surviving a rock concert. Once inside we were lucky once again-we made it to 6th row which was quite close to the stage-not bad, not bad at all, considering the number of sold tickets was 10 000! We stuck together for as long as we could because the crowd…

The crowd was vicious, furious and insane. I don’t blame them. 30STM’s music doesn’t suggest that of course but the cult of personality surely does. Everybody wanted a piece of Jared-and now I totally understand why. There’s so much charm one can take without giving in and the charm on display was off everybody’s limits :) I’ve been to big concerts, to more than one, but it felt as if that one was my first. I was pushed, I was squeezed, I was out of breath, I was stepped on, today every muscle in my body demands attention-but I don’t care! The concert was worth EVERYTHING! Jared on stage, in flesh and blood, is simply incredible. You have to see it to believe it. The guy is 100 % present, committed and giving. You can clearly see he's not there just to do his job and leave-he's there to make you feel good, damn good. And the ease with which he rules the crowd is simply stunning. I sang my lungs out, I screamed and shouted, I was in love with every person present there (somehow I don’t think it was mutual ;) ), I jumped when I was told to, I clapped and waved my hands in the air when I was told to-I was like a puppet on strings and obeying orders never felt so delightful. 



And the music…oh, 30STM live sound smashing! Pure magic of the utmost delicious kind :)

I feel privileged to have been there. In a nutshell-I lived my dream and I’m damn proud of myself that no matter how bumpy and exhausting the whole ride was I stood my ground and made it to the end without giving up. Today I’m tired, sleepy as hell and shamelessly happy. And I can tell from experience that 30 SECONDS TO MARS have probably the most devoted fans I've ever met and rightfully so-the band have earned it and fully deserve it. Once is not enough; I don’t think a hundred times will be enough either. It is addictive-happiness, that is; to feel rapturous and intoxicated with joy. Guys, I am your fan for life.

Truly yours,
V        

P.S. As for the pain in my back-I remember that Jared came on stage, I remember that we all screamed as one and the show started. What I don’t remember is the pain-it was gone. 

P.S. #2 



Jenny, I and Aki minutes before the concert started. Is that a happy face or what? :) 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home