Friday, April 10, 2009

Come again!?

This morning on the bus on my way to work I was reading as usual. I noticed a man was staring at me but I paid no further attention-it’s a free country. Just before getting off he leaned to me and whispered in my ear: “Leopold von Sacher -Masoch. Check it out”. I did and now I’m deeply puzzled if I somehow provoked that. I was reading “Walden” for Christ’s sake and the only thing Thoreau and Masoch have in common is the times they lived in. At least now I know the etymology of “masochism”.

BTW, so far Henry David Thoreau seems as one of a hell wiseacre. “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” What a delusion to think that the essence of life could be found in isolation. I initially resent people who think they know everything.

2 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

Ah ah I love your choice of post title!
Have you seen this person from the bus again?

3:40 PM  
Blogger balance said...

The alternative title was “Are you talking to me!?” :)

Luckily no ;) But then again I don’t look much at my bus companions-on the one hand because I read, on the other hand because in the morning on their way to work people look…let’s say not very happy and their frowning faces bring me down.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home