Friday, April 06, 2007

March 22nd 2007 - day 2

Written in my diary on March 22nd 2007 :

Aside from sharing personal space with roommates Flying Pig Palace is a cool place to be. It is impossible to tell employees from hostel’s guests. Some of the guests work in the hostel in exchange of a free of charge bed in the hostel.
There’s a bathroom in my room but there are quite a lot toilets on every floor decorated on the door with hilarious paintings of pigs on toilet seats. And everywhere there are recommendations regarding proper behavior while staying at the hostel where guests are addressed as “piggies”.

As liberal is the attitude towards smoking marihuana however smoking in the bar during breakfast is not allowed…which is good but then again not very good for me because outside on the street is freezing cold. At least the breakfast is for free and so is the coffee from the vending machine.

Breakfast is from 8.30 to 10.30 AM. I’m surprised to see so many piggies at such an early hour-the bar is crowded.

One of the walls in the bar is covered with pictures of all kinds and sizes-from old Heineken posters to church icons and party shots.

There’s a silly pencil drawing on the wall labeling a few simple rules to follow while staying at the FPP :
- Only smiley faces to be worn
- Pot is a privilege, so abuse it
- All drugs are to be left with maintenance on departure of hostel
- Don’t feed the cat !
- Do feed the staff !
- Don’t steal the pictures !

Unfortunately the cat is nowhere to be seen. As to feeding the staff I think I’ll pass on that one.

There’s free Internet access but only 3 PCs so there’s always someone waiting for a computer to get free.

I never thought I’d listen to Bjork during breakfast but it works very good indeed. The selection of music in the bar is so unexpectedly eclectic-Jonny Cash followed by Marilyn Manson and even something that sounds like a Bulgarian horo!

I just saw the cat! Now I understand the rule about not feeding him-it’s a huge fat orange Garfield.

An unexpected and very welcome gift : they’re playing NIN at this very moment. At first I thought I was hearing things; I couldn’t believe my ears because it is the first time I listen to NIN in a public place. It’s a good warming for what’s to happen tonight.

Fuck, they just changed the music and replaced NIN with some terrible Nickelback cloning.

There’s a commercial poster for a Newcastle beer that says :
For sale. Parachutes. Only used once. Never opened.

3 PM
6 more hours to go. Waiting is killing me. I do not care to see the city. It’s very beautiful no doubt but I came here for a reason that has nothing to do with sightseeing. I’ll be sorry for not bringing a camera with me but that’ll be later. Maybe some day I’ll return here as a tourist; now I’m here as a fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home